Tuesday 7 August 2012

Whidbey Walking


Wetlands
In spite of its reputation for having a less than ideal climate because of the rain, the Pacific Northwest will often have beautiful weather while the rest of the country is sweltering, like now, or mild weather while everyone else is shoveling snow.   When the sun does shine here, it is possibly one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  This has been particularly appreciated lately as I have been walking every day and it has helped me sustain a consistency that is not necessarily my strong point (as witnessed by these blog posts). 

country roads
Walking is surely the ultimate exercise – totally adaptable, can be done anywhere, all you need is a pair of shoes and you don’t even need those if you’re at the beach.  I love that it can be so many things – exercise, meditation, socializing, brainstorming or head clearing.  Mine is an anchor that keeps me focused each day and also provides space for contemplation and the practice of what a friend once called the “highest form of prayer”- gratitude.
One of the main things that strikes me as I set off down our laneway is the miracle of being safe.  To be able to walk alone, a middle aged woman, down a quiet (depending on ferry traffic) country road and feel physically safe is a gift that so many people in the world don’t have.   That thought mixes with hundreds of others; some I try to let pass by, others help me get caught up in the magic of eagles and hawks circling overhead, the wetlands teeming with life and birdsong, the occasional deer stepping out of the woods and friendly locals Islanders going about their day.  

The best little golf course on Whidbey
Part of my walking route takes me past a little par 3 golf course nestled among dozens of rhododendron bushes and towering Douglas firs.  I’m not much of a golfer – seven holes is about my limit before I get bored, but Island Greens has a special feel to it.  Probably not in the eyes of a serious golfer, but it has funky little tee-off points from the backs of old trucks and an honour system for paying and a cat called Sweet Boy who leaves treats around the course to encourage people to come and play at what is now the only public golf course on the south end after the closure of the only 18 hole course on South Whidbey.  

Whidbey golf

I love that quiet echo-y sound that drifts across a golf course on a sunny day – the whack of a ball, the murmur of voices; groans, laughter, encouragement - the sound of happiness and being in the moment.  
Island laneway
And I stay in my own moment, walking, contemplating the joy of being not only safe, but of being able to walk.  And then another bit of magic to be grateful for – being able to sit down every morning at my little table in my little apartment in one tiny corner of the world, with my favourite cup of tea of the day (the first one) and be able to turn on a computer and be in touch, instantly, with the whole world.    

No comments:

Post a Comment