Monday 8 October 2012

Close Your Eyes and Keep Dancing

Tasmanian morning sky
Writing a blog has been an interesting challenge.  While the editors' voices in my head have always been there, I noticed they were silenced during the period leading up to completing my website and launching my blog.  That was the time when I was so sure about what I was doing that there was simply no room for the voices of critics.  I was writing all over the place - there were blog posts piling up in my head and on my laptop and on the backs of bank receipts.  I couldn't imagine how I'd ever find enough time to write all I had to say.   

Sunrise over Hobart (from my office)
Until it came time to finally do the first post - the one you had to announce to the world was there, ready to read, because you're supposed to do all the right marketing things to let people know about the website.  

And suddenly, the fact that it was actually out there, available to read changed everything.  The editors' voices returned with a vengeance.  
"Ooh I'm not sure you should say that..."  
"Mmm...(tsk tsk) do you think that's quite right?"  
"Are you sure that's the right way to say that?"......and on and on.  Suddenly, I had almost nothing to say, and absolutely no way to say it.  
Izzy the Bus - dozing in the dark!

For all that pre-website time, I felt like I'd been dancing in a dark room, totally tuning in to myself and my own rhythm and spirit and voice.  Then suddenly someone turned the lights on, and there's all these people standing in a circle around me looking disapproving. Needless to say, the flow and integrity of the dancing changes a bit!

Slowly, over the past few weeks though, I'm starting to get more comfortable with it.  For one thing, I still don't know how to put the word out regularly that my blog is up there, so very few people are actually reading it!  But the internal critics' voices are gradually fading and making less of a fuss, because I think I've found the answer...
It's really quite simple - you just close your eyes and keep dancing.

Thanks for listening... 

4 comments:

  1. Just over here from Marilyn's Communicating.Across.Boundaries and I am delighted to have found you. I can completely empathize with this post. When I first started writing my blog, it took me a few weeks to work up the courage to share it with friends on Facebook. Once I did and they were so positive, I begin to get more involved with other social media and my readership began to climb. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to find blogs you like and to leave comments. This spreads the word around and folks will follow your link back to meet you too.

    You have a lovely gift for writing and two beautiful places to write about. My family visited Tasmania for a week a couple of years back and we had the best time! We rented a car and drove around the island, staying at different places almost every evening and seeing the sights. I booked places with kitchens so we could also enjoy the beautiful fresh produce of your gorgeous island. Truly, it is a cook's paradise! I hope some day we'll get back there!

    Meanwhile, share your gift and little by little, folks will start reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness Stacy and such great advice. I am a bit (more than a bit!) technologically challenged so feel like I'm treading on thin ice a lot of the time, but it's great to have my writing out there. It's lovely that you've been to Tasmania so know what a wonderful place it is. I love being here, but I'm also very glad that I get to go back to my other island too.

      Maybe we'll see you back in Tasmania again. Where do you live and how do I connect in to your blog - it's probably very obvious but I'm not seeing it!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Rosie,

      Sorry it took me a while to see your response! Often if folks have a left a comment, you can click on their names to get a link back to their site - if they have shared one. My blog is at http://www.foodlustpeoplelove.com. I am an expat who has lived all over the world and loved (almost) every minute of it. If you ever have questions, I'd be happy to help!

      Stacy
      P.S. Your link to your website on your About Me is missing an "d" so the link doesn't work. Didn't stop me from finding it though, but I am more persistent than most folks. :) I love your tagline: Authentic Unhurried Tasmania! Perfect!

      Delete
    3. Oh, and add your website and blog address to your business Facebook page About. Some people will find you there first!

      Delete