Tuesday 4 September 2012

Fall on Whidbey Island

Whidbey berries
Fall has arrived on the island.  The blackberries that have been ripening are now plump and juicy and sweet. The fog is rising off the wetlands in the mornings and the twin baby deer who have been around all summer with their mother have completely lost their spots.  Today, the day I leave the island and the USA, the big yellow school buses will start rolling down the roads for the start of another school year.

Floating on the lake
I remember those exquisite Fall mornings when we managed to be on time and I would walk the three kids out to the bus, usually with a dog or two, and occasionally a pig would follow us as well. It was always such a peaceful start to the day, except when we miscalculated and halfway down the lane we'd see the bus heading our way and there'd be yells and panic and running and breathlessness.


Then there was the walk back - the quiet, peaceful one where I was alone and hugging myself with joy at the prospect of a fresh cup of tea and the day to myself.

Wetlands
It's going to be hard to leave, and when I head back to my "real" life; there will be days when I'm going to wish I had these moments back - my peaceful morning walks and long summer days.

Downtown Langley
But spring is coming to Tasmania and we have wonderful tenants settled in here, ready to give Izzy  the love and care that she'll miss from me.   I'm going to miss this place - good-bye Whidbey Island, till next summer...

Sunset at Maxwelton Beach










No comments:

Post a Comment