Sunday 16 September 2012

Tennis balls, Barack Obama and more walking


Laura and the Yarra River, Melbourne
I only ended up having to walk a very short distance on my way to Australia, thanks to a very cooperative Virgin Australia (love that airline! - www.virginaustralia.com) which gave me three seats to myself on an almost full flight so I slept quite comfortably for much of the 15 hour stretch.  The flight to LAX could have been the longest haul except for a very successful, high tech device that saved my back when I had to sit upright - a 75 cent tennis ball!  Placed strategically behind my lower back, it did a fantastic job of relieving the pressure on my spine.

Rosie and Marzipan the "Astor cat"
I enjoyed two days in Melbourne with our oldest daughter Laura, who is finishing her final year of an advanced diploma in Screen and Media with a documentary about a beautiful old movie theatre in the St. Kilda region, right down the street from her apartment.  The Astor has been under threat of being closed as one of the last truly old-time movie theatre experiences.  Laura's childhood passion for The Clyde Theater on Whidbey Island has transferred to this palatial, ornate old gem that boasts proper food in its snack bar (including tea and cakes, as well as beer and wine) and - my favourite - a resident cat named Marzipan who lives in the theatre and graced us with her presence and attention when we arrived early for a screening of "A Royal Affair" a wonderful movie about early Danish royalty.  (The present crown princess of Denmark, Mary, happened to grow up just a block from where I did in Taroona, Tasmania but that is another post!)  Laura's blog at wordpress is "Saving the Astor" and thanks to the efforts of thousands of people who are as passionate as her, the Astor has now indeed been saved.  I'm always impressed when communities win out over small pockets of wealth and privilege.

Obama's speech in Fed. Square, Melbourne
Speaking of which, one of the most memorable events of my stay in Melbourne was arriving at Federation Square in the heart of town and being greeted by a huge image of Barack Obama giving his speech on a giant outdoor screen.  We were so excited to be able to see it live, and were struck by that fact that apart from some fleeting interest by a few passersby, there were only two other people (an American couple - I checked) who were actively watching.  When Oprah gave a live speech here a few years ago the place was packed with cheering fans! 
Walking in Taroona

Taroona High School
Tasmanian Wattle blossom
View from my Social Studies classroom
And now I'm back in Tassie, staying at my Mum's while we do some work on our house.  My morning walks take me through the neighbourhood where I spent my entire childhood.  Like Whidbey, it is beautiful and surrounded by water - it overlooks the Derwent River, just as it meets the ocean that, at its southernmost point touches Antarctica. Taroona High School, which all seven kids in my family attended (as well as Princess Mary!) could possibly have one of the best views of any school, and I remember it being a major distraction as I stared out the window and dreamed of travel and writing!

Taroona High School - new pizza oven
Swimming lessons "pool" - Derwent River.
And now it's time to take Izzy the bus for her safety inspection so I can get back to the business of Island Time Tours, sharing this lovely island state with some of the visitors who will pass through this summer, as well as local seniors who enjoy our "Jaunts" from Hobart.  
Coming from Fall to early spring is a strange jump, but I'm happy to make it!

Thanks for listening... 
Rosie

  

No comments:

Post a Comment