Sunday 2 December 2012

Izzy the Bus is wounded

Izzythe Bus at home
Izzy the Bus is wounded!  As we were about to pay the bill for her regular service at a new place that we hadn't used before, the person who brought her around to the front of the station managed to side swipe a metal pole.  When he said he'd scraped the paint off I wasn't too worried, but when I saw what the poor guy had hoped was just a scrape I knew it wasn't going to be that simple.  

And of course it hasn't been.  Over $7000 worth of damage and at least 3 weeks out of commission.  Just 10 minutes before, I had finalised a charter to the Coal River Valley wine country in two days and the only bus I could find to replace her for that trip was a slightly shabby 25-seater beast with no air conditioning and a gear box that took me the first half of the trip to figure out, much to the amusement (and understanding) of the 20 kids on board who were heading out for a friend's birthday picnic at a small local winery.


Izzy the Pig
The upside is that has given me a whole new appreciation for the special beauty and personality of my own bus.  She's the only one I want to drive; the only one that can do a U-turn in normal street (if necessary) and happily chug down tiny one-way streets in small villages.

Izzy's wound - much worse than it looks!
I have never been one to be attached to my cars or give them names, but there has always been something about Izzy right from the beginning that has reminded me of my beloved pig Isabel, and my feelings and affection for Izzy the Pig have somehow been transferred to my bus.  

And it's not just me.  When I checked in with one of my "Hobart Jaunt" regulars, our phone conversation ended with a heartfelt "give our best to Izzy".  But the most telling reaction was from an old family friend who was visiting my Mum (and has become a regular Jaunt passenger).  When I told her what had happened she groaned with sympathy and said "Oooh.....poor Izzy"  That's when I knew I wasn't just imagining it - she really does have a personality and I will be so glad to see her back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment